The Romeo Spy

“I'd say: ‘join the KGB and see the world’ - first class. I went to all over the world on these jobs and I had a marvellous time. I stayed in the best hotels, I visited all the best beaches, I've had access to beautiful women, unlimited food, champagne, caviar whatever you like and I had a wonderful time. That was my KGB experience. I don't regret a minute of it ...”


Home Page

About John

1981 Trial
Angus Stroyan
Geoffrey Rivlin QC
Christopher Andrew
Q & A Comments
Related Links
Contact Us

About John Symonds 2

John Alexander Symonds
Codename SKOT

This is a collection of biographical notes which John has sent to various ghostwriters over a 20 year period, all of whom have promised to turn these notes into books of his life story.


The notes were first made in 1982 for the first ghostwriter, and the same notes have been updated and sent on to the other ghostwriters, including the most recent. They all wanted some background to John before they started on the meat of the story, and these notes were John's supplied background. We now put these notes up for the same reasons.


John is still waiting for a book to be published .....


Back to About John


Born 13.07.35. Peterborough. Family 'Military' several generations back.


Private 'prep' and good 'grammar', gained school certificate and on to 'sixth'.


Discovered the joys of 'rough sports', girls, beer and 'fighting for fun'.


Sports = Rugby, Boxing, Water polo, Wrestling / Judo, Motor-cycle 'scrambling'.


Need for 'discipline' recognised and 'encouraged' to join Army at age of 17 years:-


1) Bradbury Lines, Hereford. 2) OTC. 3) Munster Lager, 1 Corps, B.A.O.R.


Other Rank Army No 22809941. Commissioned No 436392. Promoted 2/Lt to Lt.


Rank and position on completion of 3 years Commissioned Service (to count) Lieutenant commanding 'Y' (Survey) Troop, 94th Locating Regt, Royal Artillery.


Character on discharge from Other Ranks to Commission. 'Exemplary'.


Character on completion of Commissioned Service. 'Exemplary'.


Met many 'interesting' people as fellow cadets and young officers of '1935 vintage'.


In 1956 I joined the Metropolitan Police on a promised 'fast track to Inspector'


I met 2 other ex-officers at the training school one ex-Army and one ex-Navy Pilot.


About two dozen ex-officers had then been recruited to form a new 'officer class'.


Within a year most had left the Force in disgust (including the 2 above and myself).


Many went on out to Commonwealth Police Forces (through the Colonial Office).


I 'flew' through the interview but failed the 'medical' (an Army injury to my legs).


I thought that I would try life in the 'City' and took a job in (Import and Export).


I had found the Police to be completely rotten and could see no 'officer class' cure!


I found the 'City' to be much worse, e.g. £5 to bribe a Policeman, £500 a Co Buyer!


Our M.D. inflated the invoices and issued false receipts to order. Ex money to Buyer.


The M.D. reneged on his promise to supply a car after one year and I went over to 'Lamson Paragon' Business Systems and rejected the best opportunity I ever had. i.e.


I was selected to go off on a year’s study course, including time abroad, to master the (about to be introduced) new Computer Systems with a view to business applications.


I elected to stay with my new 'territory' All the Night Clubs located in the 'West End'.


I 'cultivated' and became friends with all the owners and/or their managers in the course of devising and installing Lamson Paragon Systems suitable to their needs.


My work hours were almost entirely evenings through to the early hours. I had a flat in Hampstead and as a young single man enjoyed the 'onsite' food and entertainment.


I discovered that all the clubs paid protection money to the 'Clubs Office' which was a Uniformed Branch responsibility and was operated by the West End Police. (C Div).


I came to know the Senior Officer in charge of this Office and he eventually became the Assistant Commissioner 'Crime' (after arresting the Senior CID Officers who had been engaged in extorting large sums of money from the West End 'Pornographers')!


I also got to know the young Sgt who then acted as 'bagman' for the 'Clubs' Office and he eventually retired as the 'knighted' Deputy Commissioner of Scotland Yard.


These experiences (and contacts) were to have an effect on my future life.


1959 now married, an expectant father and no longer 'naive' rejoined Police.


1960 to 'P' Division and Police flat in Beckenham (overlooking golf course).


Transferred to 'plain clothes' duties and worked in all areas of the Division.


Rejected offers of 'Special Branch' and 'Royal Protection' duties and chose C.I.D.


Bought my father’s house in Farnborough Kent ('Green Belt' to front and rear).


Marriage broke down and Mother came to live with me (after Father died).


Posted to 'Z' Division (Croydon) and then to 'M' Division (Camberwell) as D.S.


Awaiting posting to C.O.C.8 (Flying Squad) when Times article printed 29.11.69.


'Suspended' December 1969 whilst allegations investigated by D.C.S. Lambert.


'Cleared' in May 1970 and told I would be going straight into C.O.C 8. (held 'party').


Until this time 'life had been good', I had struck a balance between the corruption all around me and maintaining my own integrity. I had a nice home, three happy and well cared for children, I enjoyed my job and had earned the respect and confidence of my colleagues, I knew where I was going, D.I. on the 'Squad', D.C.I. on 'Division', and D.C.S. at C.O.C.1. After that it was "Up to me". The Times story was a 'hiccup'.


The 'icing on the cake' was that I had started a libel action against the Times the day after the false story about me was printed and now heard that they had paid half a million pounds into Court against my damages (can be checked through High Court).


In 1970 I became 35 years of age, half way through my life. The first half had been very good, success in everything I had tried (except the Colonial Police 'medical').


Although I did not know it then. My Police career had in fact finished that day in May.


During the preceding 14 years I had 'learned a lot' and changed beyond all recognition.


From a completely green and naive fresh faced 21 year old who knew only school and the Army I had become a hardened and streetwise 'good copper' and 'thief taker'.


'Officer and Gentleman' to a man 'at home' associating with the 'worst in the land'.


A few days later I heard that the 'good news' was cancelled. There had been a big argument in Lambert's office over his final report and he had been taken off the Inquiry by Wally Virgo the newly appointed Commander C.1., (replacing Roy York who had appointed Freddie Lambert to the job of carrying out the Investigation).


Virgo a notoriously corrupt man who was known to be in Lord Thomson's pocket ever since the 'Belfast Telegraph' Inquiry. Virgo had shown an 'unhealthy interest' in the progress of the Times Inquiry and had allegedly 'worked his way' into control of the Inquiry. It was then thought that Virgo was acting in Thomson's interest.


Thomson had been secretly investigated over his acquisitions of magazines and minor newspapers. His offices were then situated in 'Long acre' off Bow Street W.C.1.


Thomson's Criminal Record was sent over from Canada, he was shown to have been a 'master briber and corrupter' and his modus operandi was the bribing of trustees and important shareholders. (Cash in hand and the promise of a Directorship in his rapidly expanding Company.) This was also his method with the Belfast Telegraph scandal, details of which are recorded in the 'Protection of Minors' Dept of the High Court.


The High Court ordered a Criminal Investigation and that was how Wally Virgo came to be closely associated with Thomson after 'clearing' him of any wrongdoing and that was how Thomson became able to buy the (then failing) Times Newspaper and that was why Thomson was given an heredity Peerage (to bring him 'within the fold'); which had been Thomson's plan all along. (according to C.1. 'Tinkerbell').


1) Certain people were outraged that a Canadian criminal had been able to firstly, take control of 'The Times', and secondly to acquire a hereditary peerage, with the proceeds of dishonest dealings in his home country. His acceptance of the peerage was also in direct contravention of the laws of his home country Canada.


As a result of the Thomson peerage no more hereditary titles were given to anybody at all for the next twenty years until Mrs Thatcher made her husband a ‘baronet’!


The new Lord Thomson then decided to 'get his money back' and to this end he was prepared to downgrade the 'Pillar of the Establishment' to 'just another tabloid' in order to build up the circulation and enhance the advertising revenue.


He instructed the Editorial staff to seek out 'major scandal' type stories in order to attract and boost a 'new type' of readership (It may be interesting to see what Rees-Mogg has to say about this now, he was not at all happy about it at the time).


Two young and inexperienced junior reporters were allowed to meet up with and be guided by a notorious criminal 'safe blower' named Brennan who had retired from safe blowing to take up the more lucrative occupation of 'receiver of stolen property'.


Brennan was receiving millions of pounds worth of stolen property from several London 'gangs' to whom he had supplied the duplicate keys to a number of retail premises, in London and the Home Counties. (obtained from a dishonest locksmith).


This meant that the thieves could only sell their stolen property to Brennan for what he was prepared to give them, (for he controlled the distribution of the duplicate keys).


Alarmed at the 'crime wave' Brennan was causing, Scotland Yard ordered the Regional Crime Squad comprised of Detectives from London and the Home Counties to concentrate on arresting the perpetrators. This operation was named 'Coat Hanger'.


'Coat Hanger' led by D.I. Robson soon identified one Michael Perry as a member of one of the gangs and decided to recruit him as an informant the 'hard way' i.e. using threats, intimidation, force (mild violence) and other types of 'pressure'. e.g. Robson caused Perry to take hold of a cylindrical putty-like object and then retrieved it, put it into an 'exhibit bag' and told Perry 'This is gelignite which now has your fingerprints on it and I will get you eight years if you do not tell me the names of the 'keyman' and 'fence' (receiver of stolen property). Perry told Brennan what was happening to him.


Brennan offered the Times 'a story' and two reporters were sent out to meet him.


Brennan told the reporters (who had no previous 'investigative journalist' experience) that two Scotland Yard men had planted gelignite on a young local boy and were demanding money not to charge him with 'possession'. He added that all the local C.I.D. were also corrupt and the reporters spent several months trying to prove this by asking Perry and his gang to telephone every local C.I.D. officer who had ever dealt with any of them and to offer them information and ask to meet them.


My name was supplied to the reporters by Perry's mother (a convicted local 'hoister').


I received telephone calls from Perry asking to meet me as he had some information for me. Not being aware of the above facts, I decided to meet him and try to recruit him using the 'soft' method, i.e. friendly meetings during which I assure him that he could benefit from 'co-operating' i.e.(information from him == 'protection' from me).


Six weeks later the Times publish a story about Robson, his assistant and myself, and accuse us of regularly meeting Perry in order to 'milk him' of small sums of money.


The Times had not informed the Police of the allegations until the evening before publication when the two reporters went to N.S.Y. with a copy of the next day’s paper and their 'evidence', a Statement from Perry and 'copies' of some tape recordings.


They handed their evidence to the C.I.D. Night Duty Reserve Officer Ken Brett (who had served with me at St Mary Cray). Ken telephoned the Reserve Senior Officer Roy York who appointed Fred Lambert (who was 'next in the frame’) to 'investigate'.


Fred told Roy York that he had previously served with Robson and Roy York replied that he had previously served with both Robson and his assistant 'Bomber' Harris and that he should just "Get on with it and do a good job'. (Lambert was well thought of.).


Lambert chose 'Baz' Haddrell to be his 'right hand man' and 'run the office'. Baz told Fred Lambert that he had served with me at St Mary Cray, Lambert told him what he had told Roy York, what Roy York had said, and Baz should also "Get on with it".


'Someone' telephoned me at home an hour after the reporters arrived at the Yard and read out to me details of the 'front page story' in the next days copy of the 'Times'. I was astonished to hear that Perry was saying that he had been giving me money.


I had worked on Disciplinary Investigations and I knew the 'score'. I spent the next couple of hours searching my house from attic to garden shed. I was looking for pens, pencils, notepads, envelopes, paper clips and ANYTHING AT ALL that might have M.P. stamped on it or 'Property of the Metropolitan Police' written on it or H.M.S.O. papers and books such as old diaries and pocket books. I knew the 'score'.


With my house as 'clean as a whistle' I went to my office at Camberwell and searched that very thoroughly indeed, dismantling my desk and the cupboards to which I held the keys. WHY? Because I knew that I was being 'fitted up' and was checking to see how far it went. 'Marked' or chemically impregnated money put into my house? or into my desk? or taped to the underneath of a drawer or behind the desk or any other place in my office or store place to which I held the key or had the access!


When I felt sure that money had not been 'planted' in my office I went downstairs and took the key to the 'prisoners property' store from the desk sergeant and searched all property that had been lodged under my name and all the valuable property in the safe.


My next job was to go to small broom cupboard in an outbuilding which was locked and marked 'Cleaners Store'. This was the 'Fit-Up' store the key of which was normally kept on a nail behind my desk. I then transferred all the contents to my car and gave them into the custody of a friend of mine at the nearby Peckham Police Station. The 'contents' included guns, explosives, drugs, knives, masks and the 'usual'.


I then drove to a garage near to Peckham and put my car up on a ramp and carefully examined the underneath for any 'money container' and then stripped out the car seats and carpet to check for any money. Then open up the engine and boot and the same.


I have often been asked “What did it feel like to open up your morning paper and find that your world had crashed down into rubble" Well firstly astonishment that a lie by such a man could reach the front page of the 'Times' - a 'Splash'. Secondly the realisation that I had been 'fitted up'. I also noted the irony - "Master fitter-'upperer' has been himself fitted-up" (by an eighteen times convicted 'loser' petty criminal) Thirdly, So where is the money I'm supposed to have taken? Waiting to be 'found'?


I have always enjoyed 'mysteries'. hunt the thimble, find the needle (in the haystack!), 'whodunit' ?, but this was becoming frustrating. There 'had' to be a packet of 'dirty' money somewhere, there must surely be some 'evidence'. No newspaper in England would print such a story without evidence, 90% of them would not print such a story!


A couple of 'gutter yellow press' type papers had run a couple of stories about Police corruption but all that had happened was that the Policemen concerned had received huge libel damages ! We thought that the men concerned were crooks but had in fact cleverly 'skinned' the newspapers with the aid of the 'reporters' involved. 'Admirable'!


I had telephoned my 'family' lawyer (and personal friend) at his home, immediately after the 'tip-off'. He knew what I was doing (and was awaiting any ‘developments’).


After searching my car I went to London Bridge Station where the 'First Editions' became available in the very early hours and after waiting about for an hour or so I was able to buy six copies of the 'Times'. I returned to my Office where I found a nice coal fire in the grate, made a cup of tea and settled down 'to read the paper'!


The first 'shock' was the fact that 'I was not alone', my informant had cleverly (and shrewdly!) restricted my information to what concerned 'me'. I shared the front page with the Regional Crime Squad men Robson and Harris, (and we should keep apart?).

All was now becoming clear R&H appeared to have been very reckless (or foolish) and this WAS a scandal. The reckless behaviour was in ignoring the warning that I had passed on to them through Jim Sylvester the D.I. at Peckham (who had served with Robson at Chelsea) or did he pass it on? I had to contact Jim to find out that he had in fact told Harris (who claimed that he had not) so Robson was never warned.


Perry had telephoned me offering 'information'. I met him and discovered that the 'information' was against two other Police Officers viz Robson and Harris who had allegedly planted gelignite on him. (VERY IMPORTANT POINT LATER 'PAGES').


Jim had known that I was cultivating Perry as an informant and using the 'soft' method. He had been present when I was employing my 'No 3 speech' and found it very amusing. I had first heard this 'speech' whilst 'learning at the knee' of Ken Drury the D.I. of the Regional Crime Squad at St Mary Cray many years before that event.


Ken became the 'best informed' Police Officer in the Metropolitan Police and probably 'anywhere'. He received a vast amount of high quality information and as a result became the 'fastest promoted' man in the history of the Force rising from the D.I. of a Regional Crime Squad to the Commander of the Flying Squad in just a very few years. I modelled myself on him and avidly collected informants 'his way'.


Ken's No 3 recruiting speech was no longer quite so 'amusing' on the Times front page and combined with the alleged actions of R&H had become distinctly 'sinister'.


But why was it alleged that I had taken money? Was it to get my speech in with the R&H 'doings' so as to suggest that this was a common practice? or was it going to be suggested that Perry was paying me 'consultation fees' for my advice.


I was very glad that I had done a 'complete sweep'. The 'search teams' should be arriving first thing tomorrow morning and had doubtless heard the saying "You can always get him on his (M.P.) biro" but they would have no 'luck' at my house (unless they brought one with them)? My lawyer had promised to attend the 'search' (if any).


N.B. "They can always get you on your pocket book" (Challoner's Aides.).


Carefully compared Duty Book, Diary and Pocket Book against the 'allegations'.


Returned home in early hours, met informant 'W' on way, phoned in 'sick' from H.


8am Evening Standard reporter tricked his way in by saying was from Press Office.


9am Victor Lissack arrives "Sent by Yard who want immediate Libel to stop Series".


I 'O.K' Lissack and writ compiled by Sir Edward Gardiner and served later that day.


No search and will not be one! Friend arrives to say that Times case was 'rubbish'.


Only evidence on tapes with no continuity of handling and reporters obviously liars.


Nothing about money on my tapes or in the Times Transcripts! Only Perry's word!


Information flowed in to me (from a number of different sources) from that time on.


Times had been giving money to the reporters to give to criminals to give to Police!


Perry's gang had phoned up every Police Officer they could find to offer information.


'Calls' made from Perry's mothers flat and recorded by 'dodgy sound engineer'.


'Agreed' meetings listened into from distance using 'illegal' radio transmitter and tapes.


Perry claimed 'handed Times money over' (but frightened to mention word 'money'?).


P not searched after meetings, Reporters terrified and 'in over their heads' & 'no idea'.


Everything 'orchestrated' by Brennan the reporters 'adviser and guide’!!!!


Times had no (other) professional advice at all, (on the 'advice' of Peter Jay.)!


The 'exercise' kept secret from Times (ex-Police) Security Chief until last day. They did not trust him not to 'tip-off the Yard', but made last minute 'tie-ups' on his advice!


e.g. Perry was told to say that HE had supplied the money 'allegedly' given to Police.


Reporters told to say they searched P before meetings and noted Nos of Banknotes.


Ditto after meetings, and later to add, also searched Perry's car! (with Perry in it!!)


Perry also carried small 'Grundig' which he could (and did) switch on and off!!


The Bank note No’s were checked with Bank of England and notes allegedly given to me in October were not in fact either printed or in circulation until six weeks later!


No continuity of handling the tape recordings, all mixed up, copies with 'originals'.


Some tapes 'lost', some had been taken home by members of Times Staff to 'play at parties', tapes had been left on secretaries desks overnight whilst being transcribed.


One lost original 'found' weeks later, had 'fallen down the back of a cabinet in office'.


Times had hired recording equipment and 'sound engineers' from 'Location Sound'.


'Engineer' unqualified and 'dishonest' (stole tapes) his 'assistant' Rose Millard stated that he and reporters discussed 'editing the tapes', Perry not searched at all, money given to Perry by reporters, 'numbers' not recorded at time and their 'notes are wrong'.


The 'further revelations' hinted at in Times article proved to be correct and a large number of other Met C.I.D. Officers were about to be 'exposed' in future editions.


Hence the 'emergency' libel action by the Police (in my name) and no further articles!


Brennan put various 'gang' members up to 'exposing' most of the C.I.D. in that area'.


Twelve other officers were suspended together with Robson and Harris and myself.


The Times had amassed allegations against 'dozens' of South London C.I.D. Officers.


The 'fifteen' suspended Officers were all alleged to have accepted (‘Times’?) money.


The others had allegedly beaten, insulted, threatened, 'fitted-up' etc etc local criminals.


Apart from 'R and H' there was not a scrap of decent evidence against anybody.


What could (and should) have been a major scandal and possibly gained the Times a whole new readership had, through sheer incompetence, fallen flat on its face.


The two reporters had both joined small local newspapers at the ages of 16 years and were new recruits to the Times with no 'investigative journalistic experience' at all.


Their 'investigation' had been directed by a man who was not even a journalist.


Peter Jay had gone to the Times as the 'Home Economics Editor', from the 'Treasury'.


His father-in-law (Callaghan) had been the Chancellor of the Exchequer. (Useful?).


Callaghan was now the Home Secretary and the ultimate authority of the Met Police.


Callaghan had been a Naval 'other rank' during the war and a Union official at Cardiff Docks after the war. He had then become an M.P. in the Labour 'landslide'.


Callaghan had supplemented his M.P.'s salary by becoming the 'paid' advisor to the Police Federation (Union) and was credited with gaining many improvements in pay and conditions for the Police. He frequently visited N.S.Y. and local Police Stations. N.S.Y. to cultivate the 'Chiefs' and the Stations to 'Fix Things' for arrested M.P.'s.!


e.g. In 1957 whilst on 'Queer Patrol' I arrested Tom Driberg for O.P.D. and took him into Bow Street. He had been engaged in buggery with another man in one of the Convent Garden Urinals and I had rejected his offered £5 to let him go. Driberg was allowed to telephone his 'Lawyer' and Callaghan arrived at Bow Street a short time later. Callaghan got the Chief Supt 'Bones' Jones out of bed (he lived above the shop) and I was told to hand over my pocket book and 'forget it' Both M.P's left Bow Street together in 'High Spirits'. One month later I also left Bow Street (and the Met Police)!


Thomson had been 'hands on' the Times investigation, News Editor and Jay directing.


Jay had 'bee in his bonnet' about Police corruption and paranoid about leaks to N.S.Y.


Actual story and Editorial written by Rees Mogg. (Reporters had relayed info to him.).


Times allegations had 'fallen flat' the night before publication of the story & 'T' told.


Story run anyway but that information and my immediate 'libel' stopped the 'series'.


Lambert continued investigation at Times office, more lies and concoctions exposed.


Reporters (and Jay) were now facing charges re using Perry as an 'agent provocateur'.


There were also 'conspiracy' charges, 'wasting police time' and others to be discussed.


Panic at the Times, Thomson 'putting himself about' and Jay ran crying to 'Daddy'.


Callaghan announced that he was bringing in 'outside' Police to take over the Enquiry.


Met furious and Commissioner threatened to resign. Callaghan had not the ‘power’!


The original 'Act' creating the Met and subsequent Acts had given the Met 'all rights'.


Williamson appointed to 'take over' had gathered a high powered team from Midlands.


But he was sidelined to be an 'Adviser' and his team 'not allowed to speak to any Met'.


'Iron Man' eventually broken, retired early, lost an enhanced pension and knighthood.


Lambert did the 'good job' asked for by York. Thorough investigation, Faultless on paper, Criminal acts 'uncovered' sent forward for trial. No evidence to support alleged criminal acts, recommendation for 'return to duty'. Discipline Code offences reported.


R and H to go for trial, I was 'home free' and to be returned to duty. Some of the other Officers were to remain suspended until 'Discipline Offences' dealt with. All rest free.


I was complimented for my behaviour ! Kept my mouth shut, Made no waves, etc etc


In those days, to have a 'problem', and 'get out of it well', 'added' to ones reputation!!


It goes to show what an 'upside down world' I was then living in, As in all the prisons where the very 'worst' characteristics were the most admired, murderers and very violent criminals were treated with respect and minor thieves were bullied and beaten.


Likewise in the C.I.D. the aggressive, ruthless 'thief takers' who were prepared to take violent actions against violent robbers, 'bend the rules' to defeat cunning criminals and then counter their lies and false evidence with bigger lies and better falsified evidence, were more highly regarded by the Senior Officers of the day and admired by the 'rank and file'. Such officers were chosen to man the 'elite' squads e.g. C.O.C.8.


It should be noted that aspiring C.I.D. officers were required to demonstrate that they were prepared to commit perjury and 'fit-up' people before they were accepted. Many good and hard working young officers were rejected for 'reasons' unknown to them.


A typical 'test' would be the order "Go out and get me a 'suss' within the hour" Most would return empty handed and fail. Others would drag in a tramp or 'down and out', a senile pensioner or a truant schoolboy or the favourite finds, a simpleton or lunatic.


The evidence was invariably that, "The prisoner had been observed 'trying' car or shop door handles" I will have much to say about the long path to becoming 'a good copper'. Bending Statements, Fixing Juries, Planting Evidence, 'Taking Your Whack'.


The simpleton 'suss' was sometimes just the first step towards the 'convenient' village idiot available to be fitted-up with a 'confession' and wrongfully 'hung for murder'!


The truth about the Police methods at that time (and still ?) has yet to be fully told.


I wrote it down thirty ago years in a sworn affidavit which was given into the hands of the then Commissioner by my Lawyer Victor Lissack. It was put 'under the carpet'.


I wrote it down again on my return to the U.K. but it was dismissed as a 'fantasy'!


I was accused of trying to destroy the confidence of the British Public in their Police.


Over the years I have watched the exposures of the grossest miscarriages of Justice.


Police are STILL using the 'methods' I learnt (so eagerly and avidly) to use in the 60's.


Sorry about the rather large 'bullets' I wanted to explain the situation from an angle that has never been covered before The 'inside story' which you needed to know in order to fully understand the 'events' which would otherwise appear 'fantastical'!


Everything I say has been written down in great detail elsewhere. Except the above.


To a certain type of reader, the Times story was 'shocking' and I must apologise to those 'left wing loonies', 'whimpering homosexuals' and 'radical lawyers' who were 'duly shocked'. Their (predictable) letters of complaint were given due prominence together with the outraged spluttering of the familiar 'rent a quote' M.P.'s.


The letters received from the more intelligent readers expressed disappointment at the Times venture into tabloid 'shock scandal' journalism and some accurately forecast the future 'damage to the system'. These letters were not printed but may still 'exist'!


The two Times reporters (and Perry) did not 'bring down' N.S.Y. (as they later tried to claim). N.S.Y. was brought down by one man alone. That was (the newly ennobled) 'Lord' Thomson. His 'actions' caused the 'reactions' which destroyed the reputation of New Scotland Yard and eventually the public’s trust in ALL the British Police Forces.


I can 'prove' and justify the above statement in detail, but it would take many pages.


Thomson having failed to alter the course of the Times Enquiry through Political interference managed to take control of the Enquiry through his connection to Virgo.


Virgo took control through his connection to the 'Two Ernies' (Bond and Millen) who sat at the head of all the C.I.D. corruption at New Scotland Yard. They filled the ranks between him and Brodie the A.C.C. (Assistant Commissioner Crime).


Brodie was honest and 'trusting'. He was waiting to become the next Commissioner.


Junior officers might take small bribes and 'pocket them' and if caught 'they went to the wall' and were dealt with ruthlessly. They had not paid their 'Insurance Premium'.


IF I was ever tempted to take a bribe it would NEVER have been less than a 'monkey' (£500) and I would have followed the 'rules of the game'. Firstly I would never ever accept money directly. It would have to go to a 'middle man' (usually a trusted local publican or a bookmaker or a scrap metal dealer) who would 'hold it' until the deal was completed (e.g., Bail granted etc). The middle man would then hand over the money to the Police Officer or return it to the Criminal less a small 'percentage'.


This would give me a breathing space to 'check out the 'briber' and take advice from my Senior Officer (This was my 'insurance') If he agreed I would then give the money to him and he would give me some back (My 'whack'). He would then keep some for himself (His 'whack') and the rest would go 'upstairs' (His Senior Officer) and so on!


That was my insurance premium. I would have compromised a whole series of S.O.'s.


If anything 'went wrong' I would have been protected 'all the way up'. Any future 'complaints' or 'investigations' would have come to the notice of one of those senior officers at some 'early' stage and appropriate steps could be taken. (more about this)!


I had been 'taught the ropes' in the early 1960's by Ken Drury my 'mentor' at St Mary Cray who was not a 'corrupt officer' per se, but seemed to be regularly receiving sums of money as his 'whack' from Informants fund payments and sometimes very large sums (his 'whack') from Insurance Company rewards. Ken was always very careful and even used to send me to collect this for him from one of his 'middlemen' (more).


Nobody who knew me believed that I had accepted small sums of money directly from Perry. They accepted what one described as my 'silly bollocks recruiting con' (which it was) as many had heard it before and could attest to its effectiveness. It was every petty crooks dream. To have their very own 'tame bent detective' at their 'beck and call'. Furthermore it had worked. Perry had asked Reporters if I could be 'left out'.



Go to Part 3



Please comment:        If you have any comment to make about the above page, or want to ask us a question, then please go to our Contact Us page


Site Map

Home About John About John 2 About John 3 About John 4 1981 Trial Trial Records
Angus Stroyan Geoffrey Rivlin QC Christopher Andrew Comments Related Links Contact Us Stroyan Speech 1
Stroyan Speech 2 Stroyan Speech 3 Stroyan Speech 4 Stroyan Speech 5 Stroyan Speech 6 Rivlin Speech 1 Rivlin Speech 2
Sunny Jim Scotland Yard Intro Scotland Yard 1 Scotland Yard 2 Scotland Yard 3 Scotland Yard 4 Romeo Spy 1
Romeo Spy 2 Romeo Spy 3 Romeo Spy 4 Romeo Spy 5 Romeo Spy 6 Romeo Spy 7 Romeo Spy 8
Romeo Spy 9            
          Raleigh Spy Conference Jon Ronson Spying

© 2011